Sunday 8 May 2011

Anime All Nighter

I've been consistently tempted by Sci-Fi London's Anime for a couple of years now, even though I have never, ever, been able to stay up all night and am generally sceptical of anything that locks you in a room with people you don't know for 10 hours, even if they ARE antisocial ones. I took the plunge this year though, and, starting at midnight, finishing at 8.30am, I watched AKIRA in HD, REDLINE, and two feature length films of EDEN OF THE EAST.

I've lost count of the number of times I've seen bits of AKIRA, but it was only on Saturday night, coming up for 2 in the morning, that I realised I'd never actually seen / it / all / the / way / through. The story is much thinner than my Manga-rhapsodised heart remembers, but the scale and beauty of it more than make up for that. I was awestruck. Again. And I stayed awake!

After a cool few hours sleep through EDEN OF THE EAST (not a late night movie, and (sorry) not dark enough for me), REDLINE - perhaps more aptly named red EYE for the state of mine by that time - kept me happily awake between 6.30 and 8.30am. Loud, brash animation and a soundtrack to match, romantic, sexist in the best way possible...what more could I possibly want? Other than some sleep. In a bed, preferably.

No comments:

Post a Comment